[ Новые сообщения · Участники · Правила форума · Поиск · RSS ]
  • Страница 1 из 1
Форум » Полигамия » Полигамия и общество » Moses
Moses
AdamДата: Понедельник, 16.09.2013, 08:27 | Сообщение # 1
Рядовой
Статус: Offline
Moses:
Again pro-polygamists believe that the Bible records thatMoses had two wives.And Moses was content to dwell with the man: and he gaveMoses Zipporah his daughter. [Exodus 2:21]And Miriam and Aaron spake against Moses because of theCushite woman whom he had married; for he had married a Cushite woman. [Numbers12:1]While according to the customs of the time period it wouldnot have been unreasonable for Moses to have more than one wife, the question has to be asked is whether he actually did. Although the text does not give usdetails of the situation, there are a number of clues that bear examining.The argument has been put forth that when Numbers 12:1speaks of a “Cushite woman” it is actually referring to Moses’ wife, Zipporah.However this is extremely unlikely. Why would Zipporah be called a Cushite in
Numbers 12 when her father is called a Midianite in Numbers 10. Besides which, not only does the text imply that Moses' marriage to a Cushite woman was a recent one, but it seems hard to believe that Miriam was objecting to Moses’ marriage to Zipporah which had taken place years earlier, and had already produced two children.Others say that perhaps Zipporah had died and Moses hadremarried. While this is possible, it too is unlikely since only a short time had elapsed between the story of the reappearance of Zipporah [Exodus 18] and
Moses marriage to the Cushite wife in Numbers 12.But let us return to the occasion when the Scriptures tellus that Moses sent Zipporah away to her father, who later brought her and her two sons back to Moses.And Jethro, Moses' father-in-law, took Zipporah, Moses'wife, after he had sent [Heb. shillûach] her away, and her two sons; of whom the name of the one was Gershom; for he said, I have been a sojourner in a
foreign land: and the name of the other was Eliezer; for he said, The God of my father was my help, and delivered me from the sword of Pharaoh. And Jethro, Moses' father-in-law, came with his sons and his wife unto Moses into the wilderness where he was encamped, at the mount of God: and he said unto Moses, I, thy father-in-law Jethro, am come unto thee, and thy wife, and her two sons
with her. [Exodus 18:2-6]As an aside... It is unlikely that Jethro was Moses’ fatherin law. The Hebrew word used in ambiguous. See Footnote I.The text does not say exactly when Moses sent Zipporah away,and we do not find out about this until well after the fact when Jethro brings
her back to Moses in Exodus 18. However the point is that the Hebrew word translated as "sent away" frequently refers to divorce. Shillûach
means a dismissal, that is, (of a wife) divorce (especially the document); also (of a daughter). It comes from the root word shâlach, which is frequently used for divorce as the following examples show…then the man that lay with her shall give unto the damsel'sfather fifty shekels of silver, and she shall be his wife, because he hath humbled her; he may not put her away [Heb. shâlach] all his days. [Deuteronomy
22:29]When a man taketh a wife, and marrieth her, then it shallbe, if she find no favor in his eyes, because he hath found some unseemly thing
in her, that he shall write her a bill of divorcement, and give it in her hand, and send [Heb. shâlach] her out of his house. [Deuteronomy 24:1]And if the latter husband hate her, and write her a bill ofdivorcement, and give it in her hand, and send [Heb. shâlach] her out of his
house; or if the latter husband die, who took her to be his wife; [Deuteronomy 24:3]They say, If a man put away [Heb. shâlach] his wife, andshe go from him, and become another man's, will he return unto her again? will not that land be greatly polluted? But thou hast played the harlot with many lovers; yet return again to me, saith Jehovah. [Jeremiah 3:1]For I hate putting away [Heb. shâlach], saith Jehovah, theGod of Israel, and him that covereth his garment with violence, saith Jehovah of hosts: therefore take heed to your spirit, that ye deal not treacherously. [Malachi 2:16] Why Moses would divorce his wife is not the subject of thispaper (although an interesting possibility is contained in Footnote I). What matters here is that although the Cushite woman was a second wife, it is entirely possible that Moses married her after he sent Zipporah away, but before Jethro brought her back. Stating that Moses knowingly married two women at the same time is no more than an assumption.

Форум » Полигамия » Полигамия и общество » Moses
  • Страница 1 из 1
Поиск: